Tuesday, June 19, 2012

VBS Decorations

It's that time of year again....VBS or Vacation Bible School for those of you who are unfamiliar with this summer school for kids.  VBS is very popular in Alaska, with various churches holding week-long VBS for kids, up through 6th grade, all summer long.  Our church VBS is next week.  This year I'm in charge of decorating and with the help of many other ladies, we are attempting to change our fellowship hall into an amusement park type of theme.  Our theme is IncrediWorld - a week long study of God's creation.  

Last Saturday was spent trying to capture the feel of being in the middle of a carousel.  I love carousels so this theme was fun for me.  I drew the horses, and other people helped paint, color or marker each one.  We still have more to do so that's what I'll be busy with this Saturday also. 
 

We also have an "aquarium" at one end and will have a "butterfly garden" and an "aviary" in our hallway.

 
 Each of the classroom doors are decorated to resemble circus tents.

It was my idea but two other ladies did most of the work on the streamers - aren't they beautiful?  It starts with a hula-hoop and several roles of crepe paper.  Once you have them all attached to the hula-hoop you raise it into place and then twirl and attach all the streamers to the walls.

 ps - my surgery got scheduled for beginning of July.  The doctor would like to see the inflamation go down prior to surgery. We still have more creative work to do this coming Saturday, so I'll post pics of the finished rooms later.

10 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

The children who come to see these wonderful pieces of art and the streamers are going to be so happy and have such fun. Your drawings are terrific and how fun that so many others helped to bring them further to life!

Good luck with the surgery. Hope all goes smoothly and you'll be up and around before long at all.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your church is so lucky to have such a talented lady to create such decorations for the VBS. I know you enjoy it too. It looks like such fun.

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Wow. Some lovely Art being made there.. That will make it fun to be in. Hope the surgery goes well.

Anonymous said...

One word .. WOW... great job!!

Rose

A Lady's Life said...

Wonderful work Akelamalu :)

A Lady's Life said...

I meant Pakart lol
Geez!....
Wonderful work :)

Mim said...

the horse drawings are wonderful - and I love the way they've been colored and painted. The kids are going to love it.

I had my gall bladder out years ago - it's great to have it done. You don't realize that you've been feeling badly until you have it out and start to feel great. Good luck!

Kellie said...

Great work Patty! Love all the detail. The kids will be amazed!

Marj said...

You are so creative and talented--Have a great VBS!

The Martin Family said...

Wow! I found you through Pinterest which is a wonderful site. I am sorry I am leaving a comment almost a year later. The wonderful Internet. My church in Oak Grove, VA (Oak Grove Baptist) is doing a carnival and carousel (circus, fair) theme for VBS this year. Would you be willing to donate them? I would actually pay for them if that is an option as well. I know if you are like us, we tend to keep our items. They are very beautiful and although I do the VBS decorating, I would never be able to draw that well. :) You can contact me at my google e-mail or my work e-mail (Jamie.l.martin@lmco.com). I look forward to hearing back from you.